Electric skillets are a safe and easy option to have when going camping. If you have an electric skillet, you won’t always need other cooking pots or pans. If you choose the right electric skillet, you will be able to do all your camp cooking with it and it would be an easy and delightful experience. That, of course, depends on you choosing the best electric skillets for your camping experience.
Here are the top 5 electric skillets for camping on the market today.
1. NESCO 8-inch ELECTRIC SKILLET
Resting easy at the top of this list is the NESCO 8-inch electric skillet. When going camping, there are three boxes that your cooking utensils must tick. They must be light (so that they won’t prove too heavy for you to carry), they must be easy to clean and they must cook quickly. Nesco’s 8-inch electric skillet ticks all these boxes easily. What’s more? Because of the NESCO brand name that has been serving America since the 1930s, you can be certain that you are getting a durable product.
Here are the features that make it most suitable for camping activity;
- It has a nonstick interior that makes it easily cleanable. However, only the lid is dishwasher safe. But that’s because there are usually no dishwashers in camps.
- It weighs 3.5 pounds and is very ideal for backpacking as it takes up less space.
- It has an aluminum pan. Aluminum is a material that is lightweight, cools quickly, and conducts heat well. This makes the cooking experience easy and enjoyable.
2. TIMBEK Electric Skillet Non-Stick Electric Frying Pan, 12 Inch Electric Deep Skillet with Standing Glass Lid
Coming in a close second is the Timbek electric skillet. Although slightly larger than the NESCO 8-inch skillet, it’s still very good for camping. It ticks the major boxes of ease of use, ease of cleaning and ease of carrying. It has a square body and a heat resistant handle. The body is aluminum cast and this, of course, has major implications on the cooking experience.
Here are some of the features that make the product very good for camping;
- It has an ultra nonstick coating. This makes it very easy to clean with a tissue or dish rag.
- The heat resistant handle makes the cooking experience easier.
- The lid can stand on its own, saving more space (space is sometimes a rare commodity in camps).
- A fast cooking surface saves time.
- It has 12 inches interior and weighs only 4.5 pounds making it easy to carry.
3. BELLA 12×12
Coming in at third, we have the BELLA 12″ x 12″ ceramic copper titanium skillet. It is a versatile skillet and is of great use when you are short of options— like during camping for example.
Here are some of the features that make it suitable for camping;
- Non-stick coating
- The ceramic coating that is eight times more durable than the average coating and cooks 30% faster.
- It has a convenient cool-touch handle that makes it very easy to use.
4. PRETO 06857 16-Inch ELECTRIC FOLLOWING SKILLET
Made with complete aluminum coating, the Preto 06857 16-inch skillet is the fourth on this list. The base and handles of this skillet are detachable. This makes it very packable and easy to carry. A tempered glass cover and a heat resistant handle allow this skillet to also double as a buffet server. This, of course, is helpful in camping situations where you might not have the option of having a buffet server.
Below are some of the features of this skillet that makes it great for camping;
- It is great for a wide variety of cooking, this makes it extremely versatile. It can also double as a buffet server.
- The Aluminum coating makes it very suitable for camping. This is because aluminum is a lightweight material, it cools quickly, conducts heat well and is very durable.
- It has a non-stick surface that makes it very easy to clean.
5. Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d’Expert 1350-Watt Electric Skillet
The Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Electric Skillet is one that goes all out on versatility. That is why it comes fifth on this list. The stand out feature of this skillet is the fact that it comes with two cooking plates; a deep pan plate for a soup like food and liquid and a flat plate for grilling. This ensures that it can cook any kind of meal. It is important to have a skillet that can perform a variety of functions excellently, and the Zojirushi skillet is a perfect example of that.
Apart from its versatility, there are other features of the product that makes it great for cooking. These are;
- Heat resistant handles make it easy to use.
- A nonstick coated grill plate makes it very easy to clean and reuse.
- If there is no electricity, the deep pan can be used directly above a stove burner.
To wrap it all, you have to take into account the type of camping you’re going on and the food you plan on cooking when choosing an electric skillet to accompany you on your journey.
Generally, when picking an electric skillet to go camping with, it is important to take at least four factors into consideration.
- The weight and size of the skillet must be moderate so that you aren’t overburdened with a bulky skillet while packing.
- The second is how easy they are to clean. Skillets with non-stick coating are easier to clean, and that must be considered.
- How quick these skillets cook must also be considered. Skillets with aluminum pans cook faster than most other types of skillets.
- The last is versatility. How useful is the skillet in cooking different kinds of food? This is a question that must also be considered.
Answering these questions satisfactorily will give you an idea of the type of skillet to buy for your camping trip and also give you an idea of the shortcomings associated with each.